Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Inspiration

I'm very happy to report that we are all set for Halloween tonight. Lighted skulls adorn our walkway, and Lightening Jack (Ed's fabulous jack-o-lantern creation) is carved and ready to scare trick-or-treaters. We've got Baby Ruths, eyeball gumballs, and Nerds to pass out. I can't wait.

Had a really great time at the Texas Book Festival this past weekend. I had the honor of being a judge for the UIL short story contest (11th and 12th grade) and had the pleasure of meeting the lovely girl who took first place for her remarkable story, "The River Cantanha." What captured me the most was her voice - sad, mysterious, and haunting. Also, I was able to sit in on a session of one of my favorite writers, Janet Fitch (White Oleander, Paint it Black), and received mega inspiration. When Janet was asked if she outlines her books, she said, no, she enjoys the element of surprise and watching her characters unfold. Great news for me since I still don't know what Dylan Fontaine is going to do in my next chapter.

1 Comments:

At 3:36 AM , Blogger The Scarlet Tree said...

Sounds like fun! My little boy stood at the door with his pumpkin full of treats and not one kid came to the door. It was so sad, we thought it would be fun because we saw lots of kids dressed up in town!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home