Tuesday, October 30, 2007






Tough Girls


As far as I know, Vincent didn't paint any tough girls, so I decided to go with Manet this morning. I've always loved this piece because even though the barmaid looks like she can throw a good punch, if you study the painting closely, you can sense her vulnerability.


Actually, Tough Girls is the name of the panel I will be on this Sunday at the Texas Book Festival. I'm a little nervous because in real life I'm sort of a wimp. I hope I do all right. I'm also on a panel Saturday evening at the Alamo Drafthouse called Not for Required Reading. I'm a little nervous about that too, but also excited because I get to meet Sherman Alexie. I recently read his new YA novel, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, and it was fabulous. That's one very cool thing about being a writer - occasionally you get to meet your literary idols.


Well, I got a call from my lovely editor last week, and she really likes the pages I sent her of my WIP, The Less-Dead. Very happy about that. The novel is not about zombies, but about a boy, Noah, who tracks down a serial killer who has been preying upon marginal teens in the Austin area - foster kids with no family or friends. When they are dead, they are less-dead. The book also explores the dynamics of Noah's family, and so the challenge is blending the two. It's an important story for me personally, so I hope I can do it. Better get back to work.

5 Comments:

At 7:05 AM , Blogger Liz Garton Scanlon said...

Can't wait 'til the Less Dead is between covers!
Good luck at the Book Festival...

 
At 11:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A novel set in Austin? Sounds interesting. Putting it in a position like that sets up for some really solid characters!

 
At 9:32 PM , Blogger Varian Johnson said...

You're not a wimp.

 
At 9:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A zombie novel?!?! Set in Austin?!?! That's amazing! I can't wait to read it when it comes out. I live just outside of Austin (with a good deal of luck I'll actually be able to come see you at the TBF!). We've got a bunch of cool people... but no zombies (not yet, at least!). "Less-dead" sounds like it'll be great.

- Jaden Nation
www.undergroundunrest.com/blog

 
At 10:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh boy. I read the post wrong. In my mind it said:

"The novel is about zombies, and about a boy, Noah, who tracks down a serial killer who has been preying upon marginal teens in the Austin area."

I missed the "*NOT* about zombies".

Though that would be cool!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home