Thursday, October 11, 2007


Stretching

This week I've been doing something completely new and different - stretching myself by reading poetry. Because the narrator of my WIP, 16-year-old Noah, is an aspiring poet/songwriter, and because I've basically been reading prose all my life and neglecting the lovely form of poetry, I've had to take sort of a crash course. Well, I still have a lot to learn, but so far I really like the imagists, who are similar to the impressionist painters in that they give us a glimpse of ordinary life and somehow make it extraordinary. So, here is a poem I like by William Carlos Williams:

Iris

a burst of iris so that
come down for
breakfast
we searched through the
room for
that

sweetest odor and at
first could not
find its

source then a blue as
of the sea
struck

startling us from among those trumpeting petals.

2 Comments:

At 11:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is lovely, April. WCW is such a fine place to start and settle for awhile....
Enjoy your reading.

 
At 3:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The poet Shel Silverstein will always have a place for me :) . I think his quirky humor influences me so I'm not too serious when I'm writing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home